This was something I built for the internal team christmas card, along with designer Leigh Furby. It was built in a couple of rainy afternoons in 2009, mostly in response to some research I had been doing with the Adobe Kuler API for some project work (building photoshop panels for the Sky News design team).
The best kind of experimental work, I find, comes from trying one very simple thing, and then iterating and adding features until you have something cool. Weirdly, I found the Kuler manipulations and the patterning quite straightforward…for some reason it was the bitmap file output (i.e. saving the image) that proved the toughest nut to crack.